Director of the Master of Behavioral and Decision Sciences
16.07.2021, by Tina Keil
University of Pennsylvania, USA
Application deadline: Until filled
The central duty of the Director position is to work closely with the Faculty Director and the standing faculty of the MBDS to ensure the success of the program. Two central operational responsibilities of the position are the recruiting and advising of students in the program. Another important program goal is to help students secure internships in companies, public institutions and consulting firms interested in behavioral science applications. The Director is expected to create and maintain relations with such organizations and the MBDS Advisory Board to ensure students find rewarding internship and research/work experiences. Working closely with the Director of the Center for Social Norms and Behavioral Dynamics, the MBDS Director is expected to help create joint partnerships with industry and non-profit organizations.
The Director designs marketing initiatives, organizes recruitment events, interviews applicants, and works to ensure that students in the program have a positive experience. The Director works with and oversees other administrative staff to ensure that deadlines and goals are met; provides course support for MBDS faculty and adjunct teaching instructors when needed; coordinates the MBDS Faculty Committee; advises students in course selection and develops the course schedule; reviews student progress toward completion of the degree requirements; serves as the main point of contact for university partnerships; helps plan events in conjunction with LPS; assists the Faculty Director in the implementation of new programs, projects and other initiatives.
- Manage and administer overall program. Also includes career services, counseling and networking for current students and alums. Summer programming. MBDS administrative functions in concert with LPS (new student orientation, graduation, etc.). Manage and coordinate with faculty and Faculty Committee, complete reports, curriculum development and implementation.
- Marketing, recruitment, outreach, and admissions duties; managing advertising, hosting open houses, interviewing applicants, and assessing applications. Student advising, course preparation and monitoring student progress.
- Program Development: Alumni Relations (contacts and events), representing program at Penn campus events and various off campus events, marketing/advertising, and building industry collaborations. Work closely with the Center for Social Norms and Behavioral Dynamics to organize workshops and facilitate relations with companies/consulting groups interested in implementing behavioral science solutions.
- Work closely with the MBDS Advisory Board and other industry sources to providestudents' internships. Development, management, administration and monitoring students’ final internship and research experiences.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- A Master’s Degree or more is required along with 3 to 5 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. 5 to 7 years are strongly preferred. The main degree must be in economics/social psychology/behavioral science.
- The position requires someone with excellent management, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; a solid appreciation for and commitment to the vision and agenda of the MBDS Program; an entrepreneurial spirit; the ability to operate under pressure; a commitment to details and excellence in program management; a willingness to contribute creatively to the growth of the MBDS Program; and a keen appreciation and sensitivity for the special needs of the various types of students in the MBDS Program.
- A resume and cover letter are required.
More info and application form: https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/McNeil-Building---4th-Floor/Director-of-Penn-s-Master-of-Behavioral-and-Decision-Sciences--MBDS-_JR00035890