Post-doc Position in Social Psychology
28.05.2021, by Tina Keil
Ruhr-University Bochum, Germany
Application deadline: June 15th, 2021
We invite applications for a postdoctoral position as part of a subproject of the DFG-funded research grant “COMPliaNCE: Computational approach that embeds Medical and Psychological research and develops Normative Criteria for socio-economic policy Evaluation” under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Hofmann.
The postdoc position is part of a larger interdisciplinary project aiming to study pandemics' complexity from an integrated multidisciplinary perspective by relying on contributions from economics, ethics, psychology, and virology. It contributes to informed model-based policymaking by analyzing the possible consequences of alternative policy scenarios. Different socio-economic scenarios will be developed and used to test the effectiveness of different policy mixes to tackle the pandemic and address economic recovery.
The primary aim of the psychology subproject is to study the psychological foundations of effective policy interventions. In particular, we seek to explore via surveys and field research when and why people comply with the restrictions to counter pandemics. Selecting a highly predictive but reasonably parsimonious set of components as input for the modelling of agents’ compliance behaviors.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will be part of the Social Psychology department (chair: Prof. Wilhelm Hofmann). In this group, we study a broad array of topics in social psychology, including self-regulation and self-control, morality, health behavior decision-making, and behavioral economics/public policy. There is no teaching requirement for this position, but we can offer the opportunity to engage in research-oriented seminars at the bachelor or masters level. The ability to speak German is helpful but not necessary. The salary is based on the German TVL-13 scale (75%). The preferred starting month for the position is September 2021. The contract is limited to 3 years.
We request applicants to send a motivation letter explaining their interest and qualifications regarding the position, their prior research/work experience, a CV, and contact information of two professional references, as well as one sample publication. The deadline for application is June 15, 2021. Please email all materials in a single pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Postdoc Position” in the subject line. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will be conducted via video call.
At the Ruhr-University Bochum, we seek to promote careers of women in areas in which they have been underrepresented, and we would therefore like to encourage female candidates to send us their applications. Applications by suitable candidates with severe disabilities and other applicants with equal legal status are likewise most welcome.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A PhD in psychology with a focus on social psychology (or on an adjacent field such as behavioral economics, motivation science, personality psychology or health psychology)
- A strong academic track record including publications in leading international journals.
- An interest in bridging basic and applied research, and across disciplines.
- The capacity to participate in an international and interdisciplinary research environment.
- A strong interest in advancing or developing agent-based modelling skills
- Good computational and/or programming skills (e.g., mastery of R, experimental software).
- Advanced knowledge in research design and statistics.
- Familiarity with practices of transparency and open science.
- Experience and interest in training and supervising junior scientists.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively collaborate and communicate in academia.
- Excellent organizational skills, efficient working style.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Candidates who only partially meet this profile are nonetheless strongly encouraged to apply.
The job posting can also be accessed here: