Call for Collaborators on a Scale Development Project
14.11.2020, by Tina Keil in announcement
Social Thermoregulation, Risk Avoidance, and Eating Questionnaire (STRAEQ-2)
We are seeking more collaborators on a scale development project that we are running in collaboration with (for the moment) 152 researchers from 115 universities in 44 countries around the world.
This project’s goal is to develop and validate the “Social Thermoregulation, Risk Avoidance, and Eating Questionnaire” (STRAEQ-2), a questionnaire that assesses individual differences in temperature regulation, risk avoidance, and food intake. We expect each subscale to be further divided into four subdimensions: sensitivity to the need, desire to cope with the need alone or by outsourcing it to others, and confidence that others will be helpful.
Previous project phases
- We already completed an item generation and selection phase for the STRAEQ-2 items:
- 53 collaborating laboratories in 32 countries to generate 737 items,
- a diverse advisory committee (including researchers from South America, North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia) rated to what degree (ranging from 1 “Not at all” to 7 “Very much”) they thought the items were representative of the description of the construct for each subscale.
- to narrow down the scale to 120 items (30 per subscale), project leads kept the items with the 10 highest means and lowest standard deviation per subscales, and replaced closely related items (~5 per subscales) to get a wider range of behaviors.
- We launched a pilot study in English in the US and in French in France and in Morocco. We there test the feasibility and asked participants to give feedback on the clarity of the STRAEQ-2 items.
- At the same time we launched the translation of the scales for the main survey.
Joining the project
It is still possible to join the project if you are interested. All substantial contributors in either role would earn authorship on any resulting manuscript. To account for authorship we are using a tiers list combined to the CRediT taxonomy. After joining, we will ask you to:
- Submit an IRB at your site (if necessary), in order to lighten the procedure we designed an IRB submission pack available on the OSF page of the project: osf.io/ghbzk/,
- Translate via translation back-translation method the scales included in the main project (if necessary),
Administer an online questionnaire to around 100 participants at your site (expected N = ~11,000). Here you can view our current (work-in-progress) proposal. The OSF page of the project will be a central information source for collaborators throughout the project.
If you’d like to join the project, or have questions, please email Olivier Dujols at firstname.lastname@example.org