Post-Doctoral Research Associate
03.02.2020, by Tina Keil
University of Kent, UK
Application deadline: March 3rd, 2020
Do you have experience of conducting psychological and/or behavioural economics research across cultural groups and a high degree of initiative, independence and self-motivation? Are you interested in further developing your career and working as part of an inspiring group of researchers interested in social interactional processes in cultural context?
The School of Psychology are currently seeking a Post-Doctoral Research Associate to conduct comparative research in behavioural economics for an ERC grant funded project titled: "The Cultural Logic of Honor and Social Interaction: A Cross-Cultural Comparison (HONORLOGIC)".
The successful candidate will work with principal grant holder Professor Ayse K. Uskul and be responsible for two of four work packages designed to examine the role of honour in social interactional processes across cultural groups. The two work packages that fall under the responsibility of this advertised post, will examine cultural differences and similarities (and the role of honour) in efficient coordination and cooperation and compromise. Studies will involve data collection in 12 different locations, located primarily around the Mediterranean. A research assistant will be responsible for data collection in each of the 11 locations outside of the UK, supervised by a local team member. The post holder will work closely with team members and their research assistants, oversee communication in the team and coordinate day-to-day activities to ensure comparability of the studies and successful completion of the project. Excellent interpersonal, organisational, problem solving and (culturally sensitive) communication skills are key, as the success of the project is reliant on effective coordination between team members in different locations. You must also be willing and able to travel internationally to attend project meetings and conferences and to train research assistants at different research sites.
As Postdoctoral Research Associate on this project you will:
Be responsible for experiment and survey design, data collection from samples in the UK and coordinating data collection in 11 other locations around the world
- Contribute to securing ethics approval for studies in all locations
- Write up research for publication and disseminate the project's findings via conference presentations at relevant national and international conferences
- Train research assistants in other locations
- Coordinate the translation and back-translation of study materials
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A doctorate or equivalent qualification in behavioural economics or psychology—or an allied subject (or submitted thesis prioor to the interview date)
- Experience of conducting psychological and/or behavioural economics research across cultural groups
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience of independently using statistical packages such as R, Mplus, HLM7, MLWin
- Familiarity with research literature on economic games measuring coordination and cooperation, decision-making, and (preferably) honour and/or cultural psychology
Please follow the link below to view the full job description and also to apply for this post. If you require further information regarding the application process please contact The Resourcing Team on firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref number: SS-170-20.