Becoming an EASP Member
Information for prospective members
EASP membership incorporates an automatic subscription to the European Journal of Social Psychology, which is published six times per year (postgraduate members only receive electronic access), the European Review of Social Psychology, as well as electronic access to SPPS and CRSP.
Members also subscribe to the EASP mailserve, if they wish. Through the mailserve, EASP members receive announcements concerning EASP related issues, calls for papers for special issues, job announcements, meeting and conference announcements, requests for input into meta-analyses. The EASP mailserve will not send commercial adverts or information about publications.
The European Bulletin of Social Psychology (which is the Newsletter of the Association) keeps members informed about recent developments.
EASP membership runs on an annual basis for one calendar year at a time. According to our articles, membership is automatically extended to the next calendar year, unless members contact the Executive officer before the end of November and indicate that they want to resign from the EASP. When membership is not actively cancelled but membership fees have not been paid during two subsequent years, EASP membership will be ended by the Association. Technically, the member still has to pay the fees for these two years, because they continue to receive membership benefits such as journals.
Please be aware that postgraduate membership ends as soon as the postgraduate member has awarded her/his PhD or, in any case, after 4 years. If they want to continue their EASP membership, postgraduate members would need to apply for full membership right after having awarded their PhD.
Yearly Membership Fees
- Full Members : 96 EUR (regular); 48 EUR (reduced)
- Postgraduate Members: 48 EUR (regular); 24 EUR (reduced)
- Affiliate Members: 77 EUR
The EASP offers one-year-waivers for members who are not able to pay anything because of a personal financial hardship. You can pay your membership fee online by credit card, or if you prefer by bank transfer. Log into the members area (MyEASP) for further information.
EASP is a vibrant international community of scholars and it is always keen to welcome new members. However, as this is a scholarly and a professional organization, in order to join, the Executive Committee have set out a number of criteria that need to be met, as well as clear procedures for gaining entry.
To become a Full Member:
- have been awarded a PhD (or an equivalent degree) in social psychology (or a closely related discipline) and
- have at least one social psychological article, written in English, and published in a peer-reviewed journal.
Applicants should submit to Sibylle Classen:
- an application form
- a short accompanying application letter, and
- their CV
- Applicants should make sure that two supporting recommendations from two Full EASP members will be sent to Sibylle Classen (email@example.com) until the deadline. Referees can use the form (download below) and attach it to an e-mail. If the application deviates from membership criteria (e.g., because the applicant has a PhD in a cognate discipline), all letters should pay particular attention to grounds which justify the application.
To become a Postgraduate Member:
Applicants must be pursuing study in a European country that is expected to lead to the award of a PhD (or an equivalent degree) in social psychology (or a closely related discipline)
Applicants should submit to Sibylle Classen
- an application form
- a short accompanying application letter,
- their CV, and
- supporting recommendation forms from two Full Members of the Association
- Applicants should make sure that two supporting recommendations from two Full EASP members will be sent to Sibylle Classen (firstname.lastname@example.org) until the deadline. Referees can use the form (download below) and attach it to an e-mail.
Please be aware that postgraduate membership ends as soon as the postgraduate member has awarded her/his PhD or, in any case, after 4 years.
Future members who need advice about locating potential member referees please contact the Executive Officer
Approval by Executive Committee
Membership applications can only be considered at Executive Committee Meetings The Executive Committee usually meets twice a year, normally in Apri and October. When the Executive Officer is in possession of all the relevant documents (i.e., application form, curriculum vitae, two letters of support), the application will be considered at the next meeting of the Executive Committee of the Association.
Deadline for membership applications are March 15 and September 15, 0:00 UTC.
Although decisions about applications cannot be taken at other times of the year, those who wish to apply for membership are free to do so at any time.
One month notification
When an application is approved by the Executive Committee, names of all applicants will be notified to the full members. If no objections will be received by the Secretary within one month of publication, the applicant becomes a Full/Affiliate/Postgraduate Member of the Association.